Before I got into programming, visualization, data storytelling and civic technology, I was a shoeleather beat news reporter pumping out 7-9 pieces of copy per week. My reporting career started at 17 while working as a summer cops reporter for my hometown newspaper in South Georgia. At 18, I started as a stringer for The Macon Telegraph and became the first ever online editor for my college newspaper, The Mercer Cluster, where I built the publication’s first website and developed a restructured digital workflow. At 20, while studying abroad, I served two terms as the News Editor of The Oxford Student. At 23, following graduate school, I took the helm as Digtial Editor for the Savannah Morning News, and at 25, I joined the team of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch as the publication’s Senior Programmer for News Graphics.
Here are a smattering of the pieces I produced as a print reporter. To see a more thorough archive, click here.
- Republicans trim Cagle’s powers, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), Nov. 8, 2010
- Woman’s body found in backyard of vacant Macon home, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), 20 Aug. 2010
- Miss Molly trolley destroyed by flames, _The Mercer Cluster, _Feb. 23, 2011.
- Mercer student found dead in apartment near campus, The Mercer Cluster, Mar. 31, 2011.
- State colleges, universities hit with furloughs, _The Telegraph _(Macon, Ga.), 13 Aug. 2009
- The Bullet-Dodging Priest, The Bronx Ink, Aug. 11, 2011.
- Cochran home infested with estimated 1,000 bats, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), Jul. 18, 2009 (follow-up story ran on Jul. 30).
- Offensive chalking, new pro-choice student group bring reproductive issues to forefront, The Mercer Cluster, Mar. 30, 2011.
- Eyes on the ‘flies: Annual Macon butterfly count keeps tabs on ecosystem, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), Jul. 7, 2009.
- Home Schooling: Georgia College Foundation hopes to save home of pioneering black educator, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), Jun. 25, 2009.
- Peach of a Party, The Sun News (Houston County, Ga.), Jun. 17, 2009.
- Foreign students vote fraudulently, The Oxford Student, 13 May 2010.
- Scholarships funneled to wrestling club from general admissions funds, _The Mercer Cluster, _Mar. 30, 2012.
- “Slay the Jews?!”: Police report contradicts Israeli minister’s claim of racist abuse, The Oxford Student, 6 May 2010.
- Landfill expansion opposed by some Twiggs County residents, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), 12 Aug. 2010.
- Go back to your kitchen, woman! Sexist heckler in row at Oxford Tories meeting, The Daily Mail (U.K.), 5 June 2010.
- Kingsbridge neighborhood undergoes Jewish revival, The Bronx Ink, Dec. 20, 2011.
- Opt-in tax credits give boon to midstate private schools, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), Aug. 7, 2010.
- Outside the Big Box, The Telegraph (Macon, Ga.), Jun. 19, 2009.